Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dig elsker jeg

Last night, I assisted in CU's DIS orientation and chatted for an hour about my blissful, Danish semester. Copenhagen has been on my mind all day. The city that I am striving for.

This song pulls at my heartstrings for so many reasons. It was originally penned by Hans Christian Andersen during the Danish Golden Age: a stodgy, gangly, ethnic Dane who embodies Danish national identity and everything wrapped up in feeling Danish. He is the most well-known and stereotypically Danish Dane that has ever walked the streets of Denmark. Here it is performed by Isam Bachiri, a famous Danish rapper who was born in Denmark of Moroccan descent. In interviews, Bachiri describes his attachment to Andersen's piece and his desire to perform it as a response to the white-blonde Danes who constantly pose the question, "Hvor kommer du fra?" ... "Where are you from?"

He responds by singing Andersen's song: "I Danmark er jeg født, der har jeg hjemme"

"In Denmark, where I was born, where I am home."



1st Verse
"I Danmark er jeg født, der har jeg hjemme,
(In Denmark, where I was born, where I am home)
der har jeg rod, derfra min verden går;
(where I have roots, where my world spins)
du danske sprog, du er min moders stemme,
(Danish language, you are my mother's voice)
så sødt velsignet du mit hjerte når.
(in my heart so sweetly blessed)
Du danske, friske strand,
(You, fresh Danish beaches)
hvor oldtids kæmpegrave
(where old-fashioned gravestones)
stå mellem æblegård og humlehave.
(stand between apple farm and hops garden)
Dig elsker jeg! - Danmark, mit fædreland!
(I love you, Denmark, my fatherland)

Not only does his beautiful voice give me the girly giggles, but his interpretation and presentation of Andersen's piece brings up so many issues pertinent to modern-day Europe. From where does one derive their national identity? An attachment to the land? The blood in your veins? A sense of common values? Where your parents were born? Is the EU a threat these identities?

These are questions that spend far too much time rolling around in my head. Where would you say your national identity is rooted?

No comments:

Post a Comment